Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Most Memorable Books That I Have Ever Read



In respect with the title... I used only my memories to list down this books... I didnt take a small trip to my small library downstairs to remind me of books... all right, here we go... I break it into a few categories according my likings.

a) Something British and Witty

Corduroy Mansions - Alexander McCall Smith

Maybe it is unfair that this book is in my list since I only just recently went through it. But something about McCall's descriptions of the everyday lives of Londoners hooked me... The plot line of the story is almost nothing to me... but McCall wrote it like everything was suppose to obvious... it is indifferently witty... can i say that? Is that an oxymoron?

Simple as this - I wish I have McCall's talent in writing...

Also in this category;
1. Lady Caro by Marlene Susson

b) Something thrilling, otherworldly and could remind me of my childhood.


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling

Why only this one? Of all the seven books... why only this one? Not that I think that other 6 books are not memorable, but it seems that I only took this one to read over and over and ovr again. To me, Rowling managed to twist the plot line, put subtle clues between lines... sometimes so obvious which would make u slap urself once u found the revelation....

I think the second book had the most complicated twists and turns of plots and mysteries, and the easy reason of why it is in this lsit is because - while im writing this, i feel like i want to pick it up and read it again.

Also in this category;
1. The rest of Rowling's books
2. All Famous Five series by Enid Blyton

c) Something thrilling, mysterious and serious


Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

It is gripping, I am not going to lie, but it is. I still remembered when Brown described that the last of the preferiti (cardinal who were kidnapped, he was the last to be saved but... read it yourselves!) died, i remembered that i was sad and I actually put my fist through a table... (yeah, maybe this is because of my overly dramatic reaction) It is unputdownable. It is so unputdownable that it inspired me to create a Malaysian version of Robert Langdon called Ipin. But Ipin never survived the first three chapter, since i stopped writing it because i cant think of any speculation as good as Brown's.

Also in this category;
1. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
2. The Pelican Brief by John Grisham

d) Something historical, dramatic and full of suspense


The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

Okay, I admit, sometimes I would love just a simpel 'drama swasta' kinda book, and this books serves that and more. Gregory, funnily, put suspense in every line of the book. One more pulling factor was that I am just in love with history and this books kind of helped me with learning history - more or less- since we have to understand that historical fiction IS first and foremost a fiction. However, you will learn one or two things about Tudor England, and for those of you who has not realise of this great character from the world's history called Anne Boleyn, i suggest you read this book and gape at her formidable character.

Also in this category;
1. The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory
2. The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
3. The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

e) Something indifferent, sci-fi-ish and thrilling.


Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton

I am so sad that Crichton is dead, it is just that nobody else could put a dinoasaur in a book and didnt make it corny and unreal. You will feel that is as real as your cicak crawling around you. The best part about the book was the presenattion of the 'Titanic' theme. You know, the titanic theme... No?

Okay, you remember the movie Titanic? no? You dont remember anything but Kate Winslet's left boob? Okay let me jog your memory, you remember how the famous quote in the movie by Winslet's snooty fiance 'Even God cant sink this ship.' You remember that? Okay, and you do remeber sometime after Winslet showed her boob the whole ship sunk killing thousands tragically while brave (poyo) violinists played to their death? That is the Titanic theme, where no technologies can match the will of God....

In the secular world nowadays, it is fun to read something so powerful, so imaginative being humble to Power of God.

Also in this category;
1. The Lost World by Michael Crichton

f) Something Classic and Ironically Refreshing

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I dont care what others want to say, I will still obstinately say that Wuthering Heights is the BEST book in the whole wide world.

But why would i put P&P with it? Since i cant think of which one is better, okay, I know I said WH is the best but P&P is a close second.

P&P is funny, romantic, witty and fantastcally relevant even when the book was published almost 270 years ago. The dialogue between the characters are to die for. I wish i have even an inkling of Auten's writing talent.

On the other hand, Wuthering Heights is dark, twisted, scary, and thrilling in the same time. The creation of Heathcliff will haunt EVERYONE who reads it.

Both have the descriptive language that could make you picture the scene as it is almost as if you are watching a movie.

also in the category;
1. The rest of Austen's books
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Well, there you go, those are the books that I can only remember now... I would put in more as it came into my mind. Anyone who wants to read good books, pick one from this list, YOU WONT BE SORRY.

2 comments:

  1. will certainly pick up some books. thanks for your recommendation Khan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. shit! i miss Wuthering Heights!

    ReplyDelete